Though our site mainly focuses on everything Indian online casinos, this article looks at top casinos in a different part of the world, the UK. For those players curious about the best online casinos in the UK and everything in between, this article is a must-read.
Table of Contents
- Top UK Online Casino Sites 2023
- Is Online Gambling Legal in the UK?
2.1. UK Gambling Laws
- History of Casinos in the UK
- What to Look for in the Best UK Online Casinos
- How to Get Started at Online Casinos in the UK
- Top Casino Games to Play on Online UK Casinos
6.5. Live Casino games
6.6. Online Lotteries in the UK
6.7. Sports Betting in the UK
- Top Bonuses Offered by UK Online Casinos
- Popular Payment Methods in Online Casinos UK
- Playing UK Online Casinos on Mobile
- How to Make the Most Out of Your UK Online Casino Experience
- Interesting Facts About Online Casinos in the UK
- Final Thoughts
- Online Casinos in the UK FAQs
Top UK Online Casino Sites 2023
Intuitive site design
UKGC and MGA licensed
Accepts several currencies
Exclusive VIP program
Optimised mobile app
Powered by top providers
Has a VIP program
Diverse payment methods
High maximum withdrawal limit
Rewarding VIP scheme
Top live casino games
Many customer support channels
Has sports betting
Is Online Gambling Legal in the UK?
The UK is among the pioneers of online casinos, so online gambling is legal. However, the country is strict with its gambling regulations to encourage a safe and secure online gaming experience. Only players over 18 years are allowed to join and play at online casinos, and all sites must be licensed by the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC).
The country has established laws to regulate online casinos and pushes for responsible gambling through organisations such as GamCare, Gambling Therapy and GAMSTOP. Truth be told, online casinos in the UK are some of the safest you can join.
UK Gambling Laws
The UK gambling industry has been around for over a century now and thriving if we may add. All this is thanks to gambling laws that have protected players and created a conducive environment for online casinos to thrive.
The first UK gambling law was the Gaming Act of 1853 which attempted to regulate betting shops and brick-and-mortar casinos. The law has been revised over the years, and in 2005, the country introduced the Gambling Act, which regulated online gambling and gave worthy casinos the licence to operate in the UK. Two years later, the UK Gambling Commission was formed as an oversight authority to regulate online casinos, replacing the earlier Gaming Board for Great Britain.
History of Casinos in the UK
Seeing how big the casino industry is right now in the UK, it’s a great idea to retrace our steps back to when it all began and understand the evolution of casinos in the country. From how it started to what’s happening, here’s a brief timeline of UK casinos.
What to Look for in the Best UK Online Casinos
If you are a beginner in online gambling, the sheer number of online casinos in the UK can confuse you. You’ll be torn between this and that casino, but we are here to help you choose. Below is a list of criteria to consider before selecting an online casino, as suggested by our experts.
Security: Every good casino experience begins with safety. In this regard, the site should have a valid licence from the UKGC and has measures such as SSL security encryption to protect players’ information.
Reputation: Before settling for a site, it’s always a great idea to do some digging and find out what other players experienced on the site. You can do this by reading honest reviews like ours or checking out credible player review sites like Trustpilot.
Games: Nowadays, online casinos don’t have an excuse for having a limited game selection as there are many software providers. In fact, a top casino should have thousands of games ranging from popular slots, classic table games and immersive live dealer titles.
Bonuses: These are a great way for online casinos to entice players to sign up and be consistent on a site. Some of the best online casinos in the UK will offer a welcome bonus for new players and several other promotions for loyal players. However, we insist you check the fine print, as some sites make it almost impossible to withdraw that flashy bonus.
Payment method: With the UK having strict regulations on online gambling stretching to using credit cards in online casinos, it is prudent to go for a site with options. Look for payment methods such as e-wallets, bank transfers, prepaid cards and crypto, making your transactions fast and seamless.
User experience: An online casino might have everything right, but its site might appear congested or poorly organised, which ruins the whole experience. Top online casinos usually have a great theme and user-friendly interface and are easy to navigate.
Customer support: Whether you are a new or regular player, you’re bound to ask for help at one time in your casino journey. Good customer support shows when an online casino has several channels to get help, is available for most of the day, and responds promptly.
How to Get Started at Online Casinos in the UK
Once you’ve chosen the best online casino that matches your criteria, you can open an account. The signing-up process is almost the same for all sites, and with a few simple steps, you should be done.
- Visit your preferred online casino.
- Create an account by clicking on the “Register”, “Join”, “Play Now”, or “Sign Up” buttons.
- Fill in your details, including email, date of birth, username, home address, location, and currency.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and confirm that you are 18 years and above.
- The casino might send you an email to confirm and activate your account.
- Feel free to deposit and start playing.
Top Casino Games to Play on Online UK Casinos
UK online casinos are big on games, and you’re sure to find your favourite titles. Most sites have partnered with top software providers like Microgaming, NetEnt, Evolution, Pragmatic Play, Play’ n GO and Quickspin to offer players a variety of exciting games.
Not only can you play these amazing titles for real money, but you can also play them for free! You can try out a game without placing real-money bets by choosing the demo option. All game categories are available in UK online casinos, and we’ll look at which specific titles are popular among players in the UK.
Among the thousands of games available in an online casino, slots will always take the biggest share. Slots are simple, fun, and rewarding and will only need you to press the “Spin” button to start playing. Some popular slots in UK online casinos are Book of Dead, Big Bass Bonanza, Starburst and Gonzo’s Quest.
In 2015, a soldier from Chesire in the UK won a staggering £13.2 million after having a lucky spin on the Mega Moolah slot. If you, too, are big on jackpots and hoping that your lucky day will soon come, UK online casinos have many progressive slots you can play. Titles such as Mega Moolah, Aladdin’s Lamp and Major Millions offer mind-blowing wins.
Sometimes you just want a simple and fun table game to kill time, which is roulette. One of the reasons why roulette is famous in UK online casinos is that it provides players with many betting options. The common versions of roulette you’ll find are European Roulette, American Roulette and French Roulette.
You’ll only have to rely on luck for most table games to come out ahead. While the same can be said about poker, having a strategy can give you the upper hand. Poker is a game of luck and skill, which is why it’s popular in the UK. Top poker games at UK online casinos include Texas Hold ’em, Omaha Poker and Stud Poker.
Live Casino Games
Do you enjoy playing your favourite table game in the nearest land-based casino? If yes, then here’s how you can enjoy the same games from the comfort of your own home. Live casino games are played in real time and will have a real human dealer control the game. Thanks to top creativity from developers, you can now play exciting live game shows like Deal or No Deal, Monopoly Live and Crazy Time.
Online Lotteries in the UK
Lotteries are popular in the UK and haven’t been left behind with the online transition. In 2019, a study revealed that almost 30% of Brits participate in lotteries, and we can’t blame them. With the potential to win a life-changing amount of money by simply scratching a ticket, lotteries are irresistible.
Sports Betting in the UK
The UK is famous for having some of the top sports leagues in the world, such as the English Premier League. Other sports that are popular in the country include rugby and horse racing. The Brits’ love for sports has been boosted further thanks to sports betting. UK online casinos also offer a sportsbook section with competitive odds on different sports.
Top Bonuses Offered by UK Online Casinos
Most online casinos in the UK are generous because they’ll have something to offer new and loyal players. Even though their bonus terms are typically fair, you must still do your due diligence and check the fine print. When used correctly, bonuses boost your bankroll and have you playing with “free money”.
Here are some of the top bonuses in UK online casinos:
- Welcome bonus: First on the list must be the welcome bonus because it’s the most popular type. It is an offer awarded to new players who sign up on a UK site and generally comes as a match bonus to your deposit.
- Free spins: Slot fans will look forward to free spins, mostly given as part of a welcome package. The bonus is only valid on slots and will provide you extra rounds to play on several titles. You’ll need to meet specific wagering requirements to cash out the winnings from your free spins.
- No deposit bonus: If you come across a no deposit bonus, consider yourself lucky. The offer isn’t common in most UK online casinos as it rewards players without requesting any deposit. However, they come with strict terms and usually offer low bonuses.
- Loyalty/VIP bonus: Loyal players at an online casino can earn points by depositing and playing consistently. These points can, later on, be exchanged for real money or something valuable on the site. Players who wager a lot of money can also join a VIP program with better perks such as special bonuses, invites to big events and a personal account manager.
Popular Payment Methods in Online Casinos UK
As we mentioned earlier, the UK is very strict with its regulations on online casino payments, so this section should be an eye-opener to many. Still, there are several banking options that you can use to make fast and secure payments in the UK.
- Debit Cards: Most UK banks offer their customers debit/credit cards which they can use for various activities. However, credit cards are banned in online casinos to prevent players from wagering what they don’t have. Some of the debit card options available in the UK are Visa, Mastercard and Maestro.
- E-wallets: Online payment methods such as e-wallets have become popular in the UK simply because of their convenience. They are fast, secure and require less time to set up an account. Top e-wallets in the country include PayPal, Skrill, Neteller and ecoPayz.
- Mobile wallets: For an even more convenient platform, mobile wallets are the way to go. You can make online casino payments directly from your phone through mobile wallet options like Apple Pay and Google Pay. We could have also included Pay-by-Phone, but the method is also blocked for online casinos as it works on a credit basis.
- Bank Transfers: If you wish to transfer funds directly from your bank account to an online casino, you can do so comfortably using bank transfer. Withdrawals might take a couple of days, but your safety will always be guaranteed.
- Prepaid Cards: These are among the most anonymous payment options you’ll find, as all they need is a 16-digit code to top up your funds. Unlike other banking methods, you won’t have to enter personal details. Popular prepaid card options in the UK include Paysafecard and AstroPay.
- Cryptocurrencies: You probably know about cryptos, which have become common in online casinos. You can choose Bitcoin, Tron, Litecoin or Ethereum as a crypto option and enjoy complete anonymity and fast withdrawals that only take a few minutes.
Playing UK Online Casinos on Mobile
Did you know over 50% of UK casino players play their favourite games on mobile? That’s interesting and shows how playing on mobile is a big deal in the UK. The newest online casinos in the UK take this to their advantage and develop a mobile app that players can download.
If an online casino doesn’t have an app, you can count on its mobile site to be optimised and offer a seamless gaming experience. You’ll still get the chance to play instantly, access most games, and claim the best bonuses. The sites are responsive to all devices, including iOS, Android and Windows.
How to Make the Most Out of Your UK Online Casino Experience
The UK has put many online casino regulations in place to achieve one thing—a safe and fun gaming experience. In line with this, we’ve also come up with a list that will make sure you enjoy your casino experience to the fullest without any regrets.
- Always play on a licensed and trustworthy site: Before signing up on any site, ensure it has approval from the UKGC, MGA or Curacao eGaming authority.
- Come up with a budget and stick to it: To avoid overspending, come up with a budget before you start playing, and once it’s over, call it quits.
- Don’t chase your losses: We understand that losses can be frustrating but don’t fall for the trap and start chasing them, hoping to turn the tide in your favour.
- Have a timer: It’s pretty easy to get carried away with the fun of online casinos and spend hours spinning slots or trying to have the best cards. So, set a timer to manage your time in an online casino.
- Bigger isn’t necessarily better: Online casinos entice players with a big, flashy bonus that promises to reward you with a massive amount of money. While this is true in some cases, other sites use this as bait to lure players to sign up only to find out the bonus terms are impossible to meet or the casino is a scam.
Interesting Facts About Online Casinos in the UK
- In the UK online gambling industry, online casinos generate the most profit compared to sports betting and bingo.
- More than 50% of online casino players play through their mobile phones.
- The UKGC regulation body was formed in 2007.
- The UK has the highest online casino market in Europe.
- Credit cards and Pay-by-Phone aren’t allowed for online casino payments.
- People in their 30s and 40s participate in online gambling the most compared to other ages.
Over the years, the UK has made strides to have a thriving online casino industry which provides players with a safe and secure experience. From our online casinos UK list, you can pick one site and give it a try—we promise you won’t be disappointed. All the sites are safe and will even welcome you with a bonus!
Online Casinos in the UK FAQs
- How do I know a UK online casino can be trusted?
If it has a licence from the UKGC, Malta Gaming Authority and Curacao eGaming. You can also look for other gaming certifications like eCOGRA.
- What do I need to open an account in a UK casino online?
After clicking the signup option, you’ll need to fill in the required details. Later, you’ll need to verify your details by uploading a valid ID or a bank statement/utility bill for proof of address.
- Can I win real money playing at UK online casinos?
Yes, you’ll win real money if you place bets with real cash on games such as slots, blackjack and roulette.
- Why can’t I use my credit card at an online casino in the UK?
To curb players from going into debt from excessive borrowing, the UK has banned credit cards from being used in online casinos.